Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Babysitting

I was given this idea to write this while I was babysitting my boss's kids.

Unfortunately, I do have some issues with one of her daughters. The oldest is a special needs child. She cannot speak that well and tends to communicate with those around her by using sign language.

I do not know sign language.

When she put in the Signing Time DVD, I was a little hesitant that her two year old sister wouldn't like it. However, as I watched, the little one was signing along with the DVD.

It got me to thinking: everyone has a different way of communicating. There are different languages: like English, French, Spanish, etc.

However, a language that not many people can understand is body language. A simple movement of the hands can be an entire story that nobody can understand. I don't know many words in sign language, but I do wish to know more. However, it will be difficult to learn.

I think that communication is difficult with certain people, but one just has to learn to accept and learn to communicate back with the one that they have had problems communicating with in the past.

SIDE NOTE: The two girls I was watching love Dora the Explorer. If you follow me on Twitter, ( http://twitter.com/AmWritingDesk ) you may have noticed my comments about Dora and Boots... don't worry about that. Oh, and that is such a nasty show when you think about it. The "Super Babies" episode was on tonight and Boots literally said "Good job super blowing!" Well, I'm not sure if it was just me, but my mind went into the gutter immediately. 


~Am

No comments:

Post a Comment